During the Holy Month, it’s important to start your day right. A protein-rich Suhoor meal will keep you full of energy through the day, say IKEA experts.
Here are 3 simple but nutritious recipes you can put together without any hassle.
1. Granola bowls (Serves 4)
These are super easy to make and are powerhouses of protein.
- Plain or flavoured yoghurt – 2 cups
- Granola – 1 cup
- Fresh fruits of your choice – 1 cup
- Honey – To drizzle on top
- Take a set of four breakfast bowls.
- Put 1/2 cup of yoghurt in each.
- Top with 1/4 cup of granola, 1/4 cup of fruits, drizzle with honey and serve.
2. Ful Medammes (Serves 4)
An Egyptian dish and popular Middle Eastern street food, this is a protein-rich breakfast that goes great with pita bread and boiled eggs.
- Dried fava beans – 1 lb
- Garlic, chopped – 3/4 clove
- Olive oil – 3 tbsp
- lemon juice – 1/4 cup
- Salt – 3/4 tsp
- Fresh parsley, chopped – 1 tsp
- Boil the fava beans for 1-2 hours until tender. Drain the water. (Skip this step if using canned beans.)
- Add lemon juice, salt and garlic to the fava beans. Mix well.
- In a serving bowl, pour in the fava beans, garnish with olive oil and parsley.
- Add hard-boiled eggs and pickled onions for more taste and protein.
3. Mixed Mushroom Egg Bakes (Serves 4)
These can be made ahead and stored. Just microwave to re-heat.
- Olive oil – 2 tbsp
- Small shallots, minced – 1/3 cup
- Sliced mixed fresh mushrooms – 8 oz
- Fresh thyme, chopped – 2 tbsp
- Eggs – 6
- Whole milk – 3/4 cup
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Ground black pepper – 1/2 tsp
- Shredded mozzarella cheese – 1/2 cup
- Butter – for greasing
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F.
- Grease four 8-ounce ramekins with butter and place them on a rimmed baking sheet.
- In a saucepan, heat the olive oil, add shallots and sauté until they turn translucent.
- Add mushrooms with a pinch of salt and cook until soft. Stir in thyme and remove from heat.
- In a bowl, whisk eggs, milk, salt, and pepper. Pour mushroom mixture, dividing evenly, into the ramekins. Sprinkle cheese over the mushrooms.
- Top off with egg mixture, stopping just below the rim.
- Place baking sheet in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes until tops are golden and have puffed slightly and the eggs are completely set.
Here’s wishing all of you a blessed and healthy Holy Month!