Some days we would rather not go out for dinner, and yet are too tired for an elaborate cooking session. Here are some quick-fix recipes that would make for a convenient meal on a lazy Friday.
Does a complete seafood dinner in a few minutes sound like a dream? Here’s how you can make this super-quick delicacy.
- Press-dry salmon fillets with paper towels and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Once hot, slightly reduce the heat and add the salmon fillets skin side down.
- Press down gently to ensure the salmon cooks evenly.
- Meanwhile, toss cubed avocado, rucola leaves and lemon-oil vinaigrette in a bowl.
- Grate Parmesan on top.
- When the salmon skin is crisp, and the meat is cooked, gently lift it and plate it up on top of the salad.
Easy egg fried rice
Fried rice makes for a great quick-fix supper. If you have leftover rice, great; if not, microwaveable rice also works.
- Heat one tablespoon of oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Add sliced onions, garlic cloves and ginger, and stir fry for one minute.
- Crack eggs directly into the pan and wait until they are slightly cooked.
- Toss in frozen veggies, corn, and cooked rice with vinegar and soy sauce.
- Add chopped green chillies or hot sauce for a touch of spice.
- When done, garnish with basil, parsley or coriander.
Happy hummus bowl
Hummus bowls are easy to make and add a regional touch.
- Spread some hummus at the bottom of a bowl, and add whatever toppings work for you.
- Some of our favourite toppings include rucola leaves, cucumbers, sweet corn, pine seeds, yoghurt and chicken.
- Serve with Qaboos for an authentic Arabic flavour.
Brilliant beef chili
Yearning for a beef chili? Go for this easy fix. Use store-bought salsa on ground lean beef or turkey.
- In a medium saucepan, add the ground beef, ground cumin, ground coriander, ground cayenne or chilli flakes and mix well.
- Cook over medium heat till meat is cooked.
- Add salsa and simmer for a few minutes.
- Top with your favourites such as avocado, freshly squeezed lime, sour cream and corn.
Remember: presentation is key, say the experts at IKEA. So, bring out your fancy dinner plates and tableware.
Since the weather is great, consider serving outdoors on your patio. Voila, perfect Friday evenings!