If you’ve been thinking of giving your master bathroom a makeover, you’re sure to have a big question: bathtub or shower stall? What are the pros and cons of each? Which one is better?
For many people, a big bathtub is the ultimate luxury. Long, relaxing bubble baths! Time to read! A hot soak after a long day!
To others, the practical functionality of a shower stall speaks volumes. And one with customisable controls? Say no more! (And you can save space!)
But which one should you choose and why? IKEA experts pitch in to help you put this question to bed once and for all.
The beauty of bathtubs: Pros
- If you’ve got kids, this is a no-brainer: bathtub it has to be. Not only do bubble baths make for some fun memories, but tubs in general are an easier space to bathe them in.
- Today’s bathtubs also come with a variety of special features – whirlpools, Jacuzzis, etc.
- Tubs also add value to the house itself, with most home-seekers looking for a master bath that has a tub.
- Surprisingly, bathtubs are cheaper to install than a full shower stall!
Bathtubs’ bad side: Cons
- Tubs take up a lot of space – a big drawback for small bathrooms.
- For older people or people of determination, tubs can be dangerous to get in and out of.
- Finally, long soaks are all very nice, but they use way more water than showers.
Super-efficient shower stalls: Pros
- Showers are more accessible than bathtubs, for a start.
- Showers help you save time and water.
- You can add a whole range of top-end features, including rain showers, jet and steam.
- Shower stalls are also a great way to utilie the space you have
Shower stalls suck: Cons
- Efficient as they are, shower stalls are impractical for people with small children.
- Keeping the stalls glass doors or cabin clean and free from stains can be painful.
- Shower heads also need regular cleaning and hoses need replacing.
The bottom line
In the end, IKEA experts recommend you ask yourself these 3 questions to help you choose.
- How much space do you have? If you haven’t got enough, shower stall it is.
- What’s your budget? A fully customised shower stall can set you back up to 30% more than a bathtub!
- Have you got kids? Then a bathtub is the better option.
Lastly, if you’re lucky to have 2 bathrooms, make sure at least one has a tub!