There are no happier sounds than that of a family gathered around a dining table, enjoying a delicious home-cooked meal together. The dining table might just be the unsung heart of your home – so how do you ensure you pick the right one?
IKEA designers say that the perfect dining table should fit into your budget, be well built and have a classic design that can be loved by generations.
Here are the key factors you need to keep in mind before investing in a new dining table.
- Before you buy a dining table, measure the space for which you are buying it.
- You need to make sure that it fits with enough legroom for everyone.
- IKEA experts recommend at least three feet space on all sides, so people can get in and out quickly and move around if they need to.
- Even though square and rectangular designs are the most common, an oval or a circular table is also great.
- Especially in a room where there isn’t a lot of space, circular or oval tables cut corners to add some extra surface area.
- Browse IKEA’s wide range to choose a shape that suits your home.
- The base of a table will have a direct impact on the number of people it can seat.
- An ideal table shouldn’t have supports that eat into the legroom.
- Also, tables with thinner legs make it easier to squeeze an extra chair in.
- Wood, veneer, stone and metal are some of the most common choices for tabletop materials.
- With this range of options, you can be as creative as you like.
- You can even opt for a glass tabletop, which creates feelings of space and openness.
- Glass is not advisable if you have a large family or children around, though, because it scratches easily.
- A good dining table should be able to weather regular use, have a good finish, and show little evidence of the obvious wear.
- In general, a simple build is best – wood joined with wood, for instance, is one of the strongest builds.
One last note: you don’t always have to go with matching dining sets. Many people today prefer to buy or build the table separately and then add on chairs to suit their tastes. Feel free to mix and match. That way, you get an utterly unique combination and utterly you.