Summer is here and so are all the sweet things in life! This is the time for great get-togethers, lively parties and barbecues, where you can entertain your friends and loved ones with some great food adding to the ambience.
One oft-overlooked item during such events is the dessert. Instead of going for some storebought items, here are some super easy, kid-friendly, cold desserts you can make in a jiffy!
These will not only look cool, they’ll help you cool down too!
Frozen Fruit Kebabs
Mangoes, deseeded and halved
Pineapple, peeled and cut into cubes
2 oz. white chocolate, chopped
4 Bamboo skewers
- Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut each mango half into 4 slices.
- Thread onto bamboo skewers, alternating with the pineapple, and transfer to the prepared baking sheet.
- Squeeze lime juice over the fruit and freeze until firm for at least 4 hours.
- When ready to serve, melt the white chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl in 20-second increments until smooth.
- Transfer the frozen fruit kebabs to a serving platter and drizzle with the chocolate.
Cherry Cheesecake Ice Cream
3 cups heavy cream
1 14-oz. can sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 cup hand-crushed graham crackers (about 4 whole crackers), plus more for serving
1 cup cherry pie filling
- Beat cream in a large bowl on medium-high speed with a mixer until stiff peaks form.
- Fold in sweetened condensed milk and vanilla until fully incorporated, then fold in the graham cracker crumbs.
- Transfer half the mixture to a large loaf pan. Spread half of the pie filling on top, then swirl with a butter knife.
- Add remaining cream mixture, then swirl in remaining 1⁄2 cup pie filling.
- Freeze until firm, at least 8 hours, covering lightly with plastic wrap after 4 hours.
Blueberry Ice Pops
2 cups of fresh blueberries, raspberries, and sliced bananas.
2 cups of plain or vanilla yoghurt
1/4 cup white sugar
- Mix the berries, bananas, yoghurt and sugar in a blender to desired consistency.
- Fill popsicle makers 3/4 full with fruit mixture.
- Place the makers in the freezer for at least 5 hours and you’re ready to go!
Caramel and Coffee Ice Cream Sandwich
1 tbsp chocolate-coated coffee beans, roughly chopped
2 scoops coffee ice cream, softened
4 caramel wafers
- Mix the chocolate coffee beans into the softened ice cream until combined, then transfer to a small loaf tin and freeze for a few hours or until solid.
- Use cookie cutters to cut the ice cream to the same size as the waffles, then sandwich between two waffles.